Hello,
Special speaker based ALTEC, BIG RED STUDIO MONITOR, the links BIG RED STUDIO MONITOR ALTEC ????????? McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase/?/??????? ???
St?phane
Hello,
Special speaker based ALTEC, BIG RED STUDIO MONITOR, the links BIG RED STUDIO MONITOR ALTEC ????????? McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase/?/??????? ???
St?phane
Thanks for the link to the pics! Will help me as I investigate my 'big reds' further.
A very popular studio monitor for a time, they were made in Stamford Ct.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...tml#post430216
Selmer Dave, LH says
The big reds to my knowledge generally have a 604 driver (the duplex you describe and picture with the horn tweeter in the middle) - hearing a set of these set me on my quest (completed) of finding a set of 604E's although the rest of my setup (cabinets, crossover) differs considerably. The big red cabinets were made by Audiotechniques I think, although I believe their design is not that far off of some of the larger Altec designs. Another significant thing about these is that they generally would have used the Mastering Labs crossover, which is considerably more complicated than the stock one, and I think generally preferred. The combination of all three generally seems to fetch considerable money, upward of $2500 for a pair in my experience. I may get my hands on a set of plans for the big reds in the coming months, perhaps someone here can save me time - but I'll say this. After the purchase of the drivers I spent $150 or so on random cabinets and built a simple crossover with pretty good parts and I think I've ended up with about 95% of what I heard in the big reds, at less than 1/3 of the cost. The 604E's are beautiful drivers.
Harry
Heh, heh, that was quite a while ago, isn't the internet a wonderful thing?
Just to correct/clarify my (much) earlier post Big Reds generally have 604E's or 604E2 drivers, although I am told by Doug Sax that there was also a version with an additional woofer (515?) per cabinet but for all of the Big Reds I've seen I haven't seen any with the extra woofer a la Urei. Big Red cabinets are considerably smaller than 620 cabs, and have a considerably different venting design than the Altec versions (large vent extending almost to the back of the cabinet).
I have moved on quite a bit from those cabinets described, but I am now probably about a week away from having a set of ML crossovers in my setup for the first time. I went the circuitous route
Dave
"When words fail, music speaks" - HC Anderson
Bookmarks